THE TONI KOHN-WOODWARD FOUNDATION
Links to Third Party Sites
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual and may include an individual’s name, address, email, telephone number, age, financial information, etc. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, position, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an individual.
The Corporation is committed to the following 10 privacy principles under PIPEDA:
• The Corporation is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control. We have designated the Treasurer to be accountable for the Corporation’s compliance with PIPEDA. There are other individuals within the Corporation who are responsible for day to day collection and management of personal information.
2) Identifying Purposes
The Corporation collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
• To keep you informed about the Corporation’s programs, events and services;
• To assist in the development of new programs, events, and services;
• For fundraising and administrative purposes;
• To provide official donation receipts to donors and/or to administer pre-authorized recurring donations;
• For internal research purposes;
• To provide you with support and help;
3) Consent to use your personal information
• The Corporation collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
• The Corporation will seek consent for the use or disclosure of personal information at the time of its collection.
• The Corporation will not, as a condition of our programs and services, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
• Upon giving the Corporation reasonable notice, an individual may withdraw consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Treasurer of the Corporation as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
• If you do not wish to receive communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may easily unsubscribe by following the directions provided in the communication or by contacting the Treasurer of the Corporation as described below.
4) Limiting Collection
The Corporation limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information the Corporation collects can be summarized as follows:
(1) Personal Information provided to the Corporation: The Corporation collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with us, including the following:
• Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
• Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date); and
• Information required to issue official donation receipts.
5) Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
• The Corporation does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
• The Corporation may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
• The Corporation may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability”.
• The Corporation reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer or conveyance of all or any portion of the Corporation in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
• The Corporation retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
• The Corporation does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
The Corporation takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary.
• The Corporation makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
• All the Corporation’s staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information.
9) Individual Access
Upon request the Corporation will:
i) Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
ii) Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorized third parties.
iii) Provide users with access to their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed to:
Address: Suite 200, 1029 – 17th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2T 0A9
The Corporation will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.
10) Challenging Compliance